PROJECT EXHIBITION AND SHOWCASING EVENTS
18 – 31st MARCH 2019 (free public access)
at Garage Coffee @ Fruitworks 1-2 Jewry Lane,
Canterbury CT1 2NR
- A co-curated two-week, free, public exhibition mounted by the project team and creative volunteers. Featuring the project ceramic murals and artworks resulting from the creative older people’s activity programmes 2018-19, supported by volunteers with mounted photographs, entitled ‘With these Hands’.
- Private View Event Friday 22nd March (6-8pm) at Garage Coffee @ Fruitworks
The launch of a photo-book of the project: ‘Our Work of Art 2019 – With these Hands ‘ exhibition. Designed to inspire arts and wellbeing artists, volunteers and participants; celebrating the diversity of personal and collective, group creative and quality achievements of the project.
Celebrating Success and Leveraging Opportunity For Arts & Wellbeing
Thursday 28th March 2019 (Starts 10.30; Ends 2.30pm )
10.30 – 12 noon : The Beaney, House of Art & Knowledge, 18 High Street, Canterbury, CT1 2RA
12.10 – 2.30pm: Garage Coffee @ Fruitworks, 1-2 Jewry Lane, Canterbury, Canterbury CT1 2NR
Find out how the ‘Our Work of Art’ – a partnership project – led by Age UK Canterbury with Age UK Herne Bay & Whitstable, delivered by Espression Arts CIC, supported by Kent Arts & Wellbeing:
- Has been highly effective in benefitting volunteers and older people through group creative practice ;
- Produced some stunning, vibrant artworks – ceramic mugs and group murals with photo-story, led by creative Catherine Arnell, Director, Espression Arts CIC;
- Inspired and developed the creative confidence and capability of volunteers through the project’s ‘arts & wellbeing’ training, mentoring and development of a peer support network;
- Successfully engaged around 150 local older people in day centre and community settings;
- Has increased social capital and supports social prescribing;
- Is a highly cost-effective model of partnership working that could be more widely adopted.
Our project key collaborators, partners and sponsors are:
- Espression Arts CIC.
- Age UK Canterbury.
- Age UK Herne Bay & Whitstable.
- Arts Council England.
- Big Lottery.
- Canterbury City Council
- Kent Community Foundation.
- Lawson Endowment for Kent.
- Pargiter Trust.
- Kent County Council.
- Clague Architects (sponsors).